Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Round Table Re-Do

So, I told you I have been working on something new. I really needed an outlet, something to do with myself creatively. This is again where Pinterest has gotten me! For months I have drooled over people's furniture make overs. It is crazy how a piece I would designate to the curb can be brought back to life with a little paint and attention. I read tons of blogs on various painting methods. Chalk paint. Latex paint. Distressing. Waxing. On and on and on.

Here's the thing about me...when I find something I like I tend to go all in. Sometimes even more than all in. Greg can tell you how the "gone nuts" gauge pegs at red at times. Because I am such a self-actualized individual and I know myself so well (excuse me while I spew soda, lol), it took me a long time to decide to try my own hand at making over a piece of furniture. I had to be good and ready in case the gone nuts meter pegged again. I had a good idea it might.

Several weeks ago Kaleb and I went to a large community garage sale in the city. I had heard people rave over this sale and the crowd certainly was an indication that many people agreed. We walked and walked and walked. In the end, we lugged a 12 pound bowling ball home ($2), Kaleb bought a weight bench with lots of metal weights ($20 and by far the best deal of the day!) and I got this lovely piece for $23.
Isn't she purty???


She sat in our living room like this for weeks. It took that long to decide what to do with her and to take the plunge. She was in fairly good condition but the top had water stains and such. In the end I decided to paint the body with chalk paint and refinish the top to keep the natural beauty of the wood.

Now she looks like this...


Now she really is purty!

I love the brass hardware on the drawer and the feet.


After all the reading I did, I went with Annie Sloan chalk paint in Old White and then waxed it with Annie Sloan clear and dark waxes. It has a little bit of distressing with sandpaper but I didn't want a heavily distressed piece when I was finished so the sanding and dark wax were done with a light touch. For the top it was Dad to the rescue! He helped me figure out that the finish was shellac and then showed me how to take it off with denatured alcohol. After I let it dry for a couple of days, I put on 2 coats of poly and then Greg finished it off with paste wax. I love that the original stain is still on the piece, as are some of the original dings but now the surface is smooth as butttahhh!!!

Here is a picture of it taken inside, it shows off the brass feet better.When it was stained dark, the feet got completely lost.


Things I learned...
-I like working with chalk paint, very little prep which is great for an instant gratification gal like myself.
-Reddish stains are some of the few things that will bleed through chalk paint (there are a few light pink spots on the table but they are part of her character now, I am not re-doing the re-do)
-waxing is a work out
-waiting the 3-4 days it took to remove the finish off the top, poly and wax it was agony. I did the painting and waxing of the rest of the table in a day! Well, maybe a day and a half.
-this house isn't big enough to store all the pieces I know are out there, lol!

If this piece was the litmus test, I think the result is more please!

And those weights Kaleb bought? They were a bit rusty so he used some steel wool to clean them up and then spray painted them with black Rustoleum paint. They look great now! And he didn't even need weeks to ponder his actions, he came right home and got to it. He is so pleased with his bargain purchase and I am so proud of his efforts!

1 comment:

Karen K. said...

Hi Traci! I love your table! Do you watch HGTV's Flea Market Flip? It is amazing what you can do with a little TLC!