Friday, September 19, 2008

R U Ready for Some Football??

It seems to me that "Harp" and "football" don't belong in the same sentence. Unless of course you are watching it on TV. I am all for rooting on the Bills and eating some snacks. But playing? On a team? For real, you might get hurt kinda playing?? My brother played one season and I don't think Greg, Jon or Thom ever played. I mean, it's rough and dirty. And probably dangerous. Of course that is all "mom" talk right?? Greg said I was being ridiculous and if our boys wanted to play then they should be encouraged to do so. Are you out of your mind?? Knowingly send my son into harms way?? You know where this is going right? I lost the battle, never even stood a chance really.
Do you recognize this kid?It is Kaleb, #56, playing on the New-Wil-Ran Predator squad. Oh what an eye opening experience this has all been. Welcome to the world of cups, girdles, pads, weigh-ins, tackles, dirt, grime..... These pictures were taken after their first game. It rained the entire day. We sat, wet and then frozen on the bleachers for 2 hours. My umbrella leaked. But it was a good game, our team won 33-6. The kids all got muddy, I think they liked it too. Weeks of practice finally paid off and for a bunch of 8-10 year olds they actually looked like they knew what they were doing. Kaleb weighs about 75 pounds and has quite a bit of speed but when the coach asked him if he wanted to carry the ball, he said no. He told me he didn't want a bunch of kids running after him with the sole purpose of tackling him to the ground. Smart kid! So instead when his team is on offense he plays on the line. Now he gets to tackle/be tackled on every play. That seemed like a better alternative? I don't get it?! He seems to manage okay. When his team is on defense he often plays safety. I had to ask what that was. The easiest way to explain it is that he is the last guy on defense and if the runner gets by him he likely will score. No pressure! He has let a couple slip away but he has also gotten some good tackles in, stopping the play. After the first game the coach presented him with this

Cool eh? Kaleb had a great tackle that took their ball carrier down before they could get a first down and got his team the ball back. It was a good confidence booster. The coach told the other kids that this is Kaleb's first year playing and that he would be looking for good tackles at the games. Their reward--a football.
The sidelines are a foreign country I think. I have never been around parents and adults who get so crazy. They tail gate at the practices. They hold "over 21" fundraisers where kids aren't welcome due to the serving of alcohol. They scream things like "hurt someone" to their kids. Do they realize what they are saying?? I can see "play tough" but I can not see telling my kid to seek to hurt someone. How does what they are encouraging translate off the field?? Things that make you go hmmmmmm. Needless to say, we are all getting quite the education this season.
Hope you are enjoying some cooler fall weather where you are.

No comments: