Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Food Take 5

Hello friends!! We are back with another installment of "Try that Food". Greg and Kaleb stopped by Wegmans last week to pick up a couple of things for me and felt compelled to buy a new food to try. Check out this huge piece of fruit...

Do you know what it is?? I had never seen one before, it is called a Pomello. It is a citrus fruit and is best compared to a grapefruit in taste, just a little less bitter.
The pith is very thick on these...
It had a strange spongy feel to it as well. Weirded me out actually and it was not easy to cut into. Even after peeling away an inch thick rind the fruit was still covered. We decided to cut into rather than try to section it like an orange. As you can see, the insides are a deep pinkish red. Kaleb and Greg gave it a thumbs up for taste, Josh and I said no thanks. It got 4 thumbs down for ease of eating and thus will probably be the only one we eat.
Kaleb thought the peel would make a good hat...
When I looked pomellos up on-line, one of the writers said he saw kids using them as soccer balls in the street. I can see how they would be a great alternative to a soccer ball!
Here is something I can recommend though: Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta. It was a quick recipe and though it says it serves 2, it fed all four of us with a bit leftover. The spiciness was not too bad and I really liked the flavor. I did sneak in some chopped mushrooms and next time might even add some peas. If you are looking to try something new, try it!
Hugs!

1 comment:

Coriander said...

Tracy,
I love pommelos! Used to have them in Taiwan all the time. :) If you let the skin get more yellow before cutting into it, it'll be sweeter. I don't like grapefruit at all, but a ripe sweet pommelo is divine. Let another one get yellow and see if you like it better.
Cori :)