Thursday, August 8, 2013

Cabin Bedroom Make Over

As promised, I am back today with some pictures of Josh's room. The quilt that I bought has great colors in it and reminded me of a cabin. As soon as I saw the quilt my mind went to some great Pinterest posts on creating a wood wall. I knew Josh would totally go for a cabin like feel in his room. I wish we had remembered to take before pictures but this is as close as it gets.


The room was painted white and there wasn't much interesting going on in there. Add to that the general messiness that is normal for a 17 year old young man and the before picture probably would have been hideous. I knew a tan color was the ticket and after looking at gads of paint samples I ended up with the same color we painted our living room, Bennington Gray by Benjamin Moore in a satin finish. Greg painted 2 coats on the walls. It already looked so much better and we hadn't even gotten to the good stuff yet.

The local paint store has a back section of the store filled with mis-tints and discontinued paints and stains. I picked up several different colors of stain for $1 a can. I spent one evening staining the boards a variety of colors in preparation to do the wall. 

Here is Kaleb helping to put the wall up. He did most of the cutting on the chop saw too. Man training as Greg calls it.


We started at the top of the wall so we would be sure to have a full board along the top and then worked our way down. The boards were originally 8' long and we cut them down to various lengths to give it a random look.A nail gun definitely made this job easier. As it was this wall took about 4-5 hours to complete, I can only imagine how long it would take if we had to nail them in by hand.

We all stood back and marveled at the final look. Then we patted each other on the backs, lol.


I took the blinds down and gave them a good cleaning as well as the windows. The brown valances still worked so they went back up. The dresser was put into place. Notice the lamp, it was a woodshop project Josh did 2 years ago and fits nicely I think.


We thought we would let Josh pick out some wall art or decorations so the room still has a bit to go.


What do you think?? Josh was surprised when he got home and I think he likes it. It was a lot to absorb after a 7 hour car ride home.

Since this isn't our house I was a bit concerned about doing this wall but it can be a) removed or b) painted over if the next folks don't like it.

I am reminded that a little paint can change the whole look of a space. Next is Kaleb's room. We are scouring Pinterest for inspiration. 




2 comments:

diane zechman said...

Great job! You all certainly deserve a pat on the back. The wall and dresser turned out fantastic. "Hello" to all the Harps from PA!

Debbie said...

LOVE it, Tracy!! How fun is that?!!