Monday, July 7, 2008

Monday Update Time

Greetings from humid Upstate NY! I shouldn't really complain, we have had gorgeous weather, lots of sun and not-so-hot temps. Perfect for those of us without AC in the home or in the car. (insert muttering under breath) For the third time the AC in our van is broken and we can not justify repairing it yet again. Show me the genius who designed aluminum lines for cars that are on salted roadways! Each year a new section of the line pits out and each year it costs several hundreds to replace. It's a conspiracy I tell ya!
On to more pleasant topics...the kitchen. We painted the first coat of the final color, don't you love it? Warm, buttery yellow. Tonight at 6 we have some helpers coming to start getting the cabinets up. Yippee. One of my friends' husband does carpentry and knows how to install cabinets so he will be our guide for the process. We hope to get the wall and pantry cabinets up tonight. Greg and I may be able to handle the rest if we have to. It is nice to be in the reconstructing phase of the project.
We took the day off on Friday and spent much of it catching up with old friends. We went up to family camp to get the boys and wandered around chatting it up with people we knew. The boys had a great time, I think they enjoyed the opportunity to be with old and new friends at the same time. On our way back we stopped to pick some cherries. I don't think I have ever seen cherry trees dripping with so much fruit before. They were clustered like grapes. In no time, we picked 8 pounds of sweet cherries. Last week Kaleb and I went strawberry picking. I love that the boys are into U-pick, it makes for a fun family outing.
Joshua finally had a chance to set up the lathe he won at the woodturners convention. He proudly gave us a demonstration, covering all the safety rules, tools and techniques. He really knew his stuff, I was impressed.
The boys are off at Covenant Acres camp this week. We dropped them off yesterday. Each year they get more independant, you have to beg for a good-bye hug now. We made arrangements for them to go the same week as friends from Rochester, they were so excited to see them. The house seems especially quiet but it is okay with us. By Friday we will be ready for a reunion again.
I will be back soon with more pictures of the kitchen. Things are getting exciting now.

1 comment:

sharp said...

Wow - it took me a while to be able to respond; I didn't think I had a google account - but it told me I did - so I couldn't get one. Finally, it sent me the chance to pick a new password. Anyway, what I wanted to say was I love how the kitchen looks - and I'm so glad Josh has had the chance (with your help, I know) to set up his lathe. We weren't sure if you'd been able to have that happen or not, with all that's going on. Good going! I took my dibble that he made me to both Pappas and Odmarks this weekend and bragged about what my grandson made me. Love, Mom (sharp)