Friday, December 4, 2009

Tip #4 Be Selflessly Generous

Perspective. Sometimes I can get to feeling sorry for myself. I bet you never do that, right? Then I see someone in need or pain. My perspective changes. Going to Romania changed my perspective. A lot. Being here in Ransomville has changed my perspective.

Sadly, I often go through my days with shades on. Those shades of selfishness or busyness that keep me from seeing those in need around me. Sometimes I wear them on purpose. Again, probably not something you do, but I will be honest and tell you I do. It is easier not to see the need and pain because then I don't have to do anything about it. Not something I am proud of.

You've probably heard that saying "God ain't finished with me yet." Boy am I glad that is a fact! I have asked Him more in the last couple of years to show me things. Show me a need I can do something about. He is so faithful to answer. Sometimes it is as simple as a card, other times it has been a Wegmans gift card, other times it is a matter of paying someone a visit. Since this is obviously not a natural part of my being, I have to be intentional about giving selflessly. It is something I want to become better at and I want to model it to my boys.

Giving selflessly brings tremendous joy. The opposite of what we may think sometimes. My mind tells me I will be inconvenienced if I do x, y or z. I don't have time. Or money. But when I do it anyway, the return is always greater than my inconvenience. It is in those moments that God whispers to me, He blesses me. My perspective is changed.

How can you be selflessly generous this Christmas? I have a few ideas...
-buy a Biosand filter for a family in Africa. It only costs $85. You can impact a family with clean water for 20 years! We are doing this at church and hope to be able to purchase 10 filters, maybe more. I am so excited to support our friends in Jars of Clay with this project. I posted about it here if you want to read more.
-sponsor a child though Child Care Ministries
-volunteer at a food pantry this Christmas
-ask your kids if they know someone at school who could use help this Christmas. You will be surprised what they know about parents being laid off of jobs, illness, divorce situations. Talk about ways to help and do it as a family.

Ask God to show you a need and how you can meet it. I promise you it will change your perspective and give greater meaning to your season.

No comments: