Monday, December 7, 2009

Tip #6-Go to Church!

I had planned to post this tip towards the end as an encouragement to take your family to a Christmas Eve service. I changed my mind.

Tip # 6 for enjoying a more meaningful Christmas is to go to church.

Yesterday the boys and I went to church. Usually we attend the Saturday evening service which is much lower in attendance and more laid back. But for Advent we have a special choir assembled that is singing at the Sunday morning services. Pastor Bill is preaching a 4 week series called the "Advent Conspiracy" and it is good stuff. My heart was so blessed by the entire service. If Advent is a time of preparation, a looking forward to the celebration of the birth of Christ, then I am already on the road. My mind and heart are tracking. I am choosing to take my focus off the "stuff" of Christmas and work on the tips I have been sharing. It wouldn't be right if I just threw out all this stuff and then didn't put some of it in practice myself, right?!

As I sat in church I was mindful of those not present. Perhaps they were sick or traveling. Some of them honestly have trouble committing to church on a weekly basis. Whatever the reason may be (I hope it wasn't to go shopping, lol), they missed out. Truly they did. They missed the incredible worship, choir, and sermon. They missed an opportunity to be in fellowship, to be encouraged. They missed an opportunity to worship God and affirm once again that He is ruler of their hearts.

I still encourage you and your family to attend a Christmas Eve service. If it is not already part of your Christmas routine, start this year! Show your kids that God comes first. That God is the reason we even celebrate. Better yet, don't miss the last 2 weeks of Advent. Go. Prepare your hearts.

On a side note: Are you one of the C&E type church goers, you know, only go on Christmas and Easter? Be different this year, start early. Otherwise it is like only reading the end of the story. You miss a lot of good stuff leading up to the grand finale!

And one last thing...when you go to church, go expecting something. Where two or more are gathered in His name, there He is. The God of the universe is there and wants to meet with you. Don't miss that incredible opportunity.

No comments: