Monday, December 7, 2009

Tip #7 Celebrate Traditions

What memories do you have of Christmas? Is it certain sights, sounds or smells? I bet many of your memories have to do with traditions your family celebrated. Perhaps it was certain cookies your mom always baked or foods she always cooked. Maybe they have to do with rituals you had when you bought or decorated your tree, went to church or opened gifts.

I spent 6 years of my youth growing up in Germany where much of the Christmas celebration takes place on Christmas Eve. Christmas Eve service was one of the few times my Dad actually went to church with us. Mom would cook up a really nice meal for dinner and then we would have to get all spiffed up in nice clothes. We lived off base in a small village but would drive onto the base to attend Catholic Mass. When Mass ended (which was by far the longest service ever, lol), we would drive home. It wasn't just any drive home though. We earnestly looked to the skies to see if we could see evidence of Santa's Sleigh. We always managed to see at least one red light blinking in the sky...a sure sign that Santa indeed was in the area (compliments of the Air Force base!). When we arrived home, our tree would be decked out with presents. I remember feeling so lucky that Santa came to Germany first as I knew he didn't arrive in the US until the next day. And clearly it MUST have been Santa because no one was home to put all those gifts under our tree. Years later I figured out it was our downstairs neighbors who were Santa's helpers while we were in church but, as a kid, it was one magical night. We would stay up until the wee hours opening our gifts. I don't recall many of the gifts I received but I hold dear those times of being together, celebrating Christmas.
Traditions are a wonderful thing. They can help us build precious memories. Here are some of my favorite traditions...

1)Yearly Ornament Exchange Party. On Friday night I drove to Rochester to participate in the 10th annual exchange. I started it all those years ago as a way to spend time with friends and kick off Christmas. We have shared some tears but definitely much laughter. With all our moves, the guest list and format changed a little bit every year. This year I was officially only a guest, no longer the host. There were 4 of us on Friday night that have been together from the beginning. I cherish those memories and each year when I hang those ornaments I am reminded of our friendship and faith.
Here is the adorable ornament I got on Friday. Love it!


2)Picnic dinner by the light of the tree. The boys were not yet 2 and 4 when we first started this tradition. At some point before Christmas, we get take out, usually Chinese, set out a blanket on the floor in front of the tree and have a picnic. The only lights on in the room are those on the tree. We listen to Christmas music. We talk. We eat. We enjoy time together. The boys have already asked when it will be this year.

3) On Christmas morning they boys are not allowed to wake us before 7 and the only thing they can open is their stockings. Now they are old enough to make breakfast for the adults and once breakfast is done, we open gifts. It takes a very long time since only one person at a time can open something. We savor this time.

4) Attending the candle light service on Christmas Eve. It is one of my favorite services of the entire year!

5) Each year the boys get an ornament for the tree. I try to buy ornaments that depict something about the year. When Kaleb was obsessed with tractors as a kid, we gave him a John Deere ornament. When Josh played baseball, we got one with a glove and a bat. One year it was Batman, another year a Lego one. We decorate the tree as a family and the boys still enjoy putting up their special ones.

Traditions build memories. They don't need to be fancy. If you have some, keep them going. If you don't, start one this year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the picnic idea!!

Barb Sipes